BIRDS NEST

BIRD’S NEST IN MY HOUSE
Lt Col HS Bhandari
              
We have cane swing ( Jhula) fixed on the front verandah. Almost a decade ago a bird (rather a couple) made the nest on this swing in spite of our efforts to dissuade them. When we finally relented, the ‘construction’ started rather fast and astonishingly a beautiful nest came up. We observed very closely their activities (shall we call pre-natal preparations?) They were very meticulous and sincere creatures. While the would-be mother sat on the nest, her partner arranged for security needs. When we saw the mother hatching the eggs, she was very protective of her eggs with ‘complete disregard to her personal safety’. She stoutly defended her ‘nest’ feeling our closer proximity. And once the hatchlings emerged, she became very aggressive and did not allow us to go near. Whenever we ventured, she would get offensive and near assault us literally. Perforce, we had to resort to rear gate 

to enter our own nest. Meanwhile, my wife left for Singapore, to be with her son, I ensured their safety indirectly. One Sunday morning, before I went out for a walk, I noticed some increased activity around but did not notice any threatening clouds. By now the hatchlings had become nestlings and almost reaching the fledgling stage. I also observed some other bigger birds of different variety flying around. When I came back, I found the parents (Bulbuls: now I had deciphered the specie) were agitated and sort of crying. I also found the nest missing. I searched for it but found no traces.  It was time for me to curse myself for I left this family alone. It was all pain and hurt.

          Following year, around the same time, they again came to construct their home. Once again my wife was in Singapore. Now I could take some ‘big’ decisions. So, the first thing I did was to remove the swing and keep it in the garage. I thought they would never reach there. But when I opened the door after some days, I found the chicks chirping. Thank God, they were safe this time. I noticed that the iron gates had grills as a design on the upper end and the brainy bulbuls had seized the ‘window of opportunity’. I did not venture near them as long as they lived in the garage.
         Next few years not many attempts were made by them to install themselves at our ‘nest’. But, when we returned from Singapore on 16 Jun this year, I was amazed to see the bulbul sitting on her nest at the same spot of the swing. I could not have dislodged her especially after having visited my own child. I cannot say if it was the same bird that inhabited there earlier, but her behaviour was exactly the same. When she is covering the eggs with her body (and warmth, of course), she was humble and sedate but when she is not and sees us approaching, she gets offensive. I wonder how God has made us all creatures almost alike. Every parent is very protective of the kids, to the extent of risking his/her own life. We just do not calculate the pros and cons. It just happens and it is only for love. Nothing is expected in return. Every moving creature has the same character.
           Now come back to the current story. Hatchlings are out. They look pathetically soft, reddish and very tender. The mother has started feeding them. I also see the other parent bringing and feeding small insects like the flying ants. (I would have called him selfish, otherwise!) She keeps them covered all the time. Maybe, in a week or so they would get their firmed up skins, feathers and wings. I keep my fingers crossed. Though my wife and I both are here but we go out to work from 8 am to 3 pm. I only hope no harm comes to them in our absence and they take the flight as their parent may have dreamt.

               1 July 18 is, coincidentally, Sunday again. We are home and while washing my car, I see the fledgling bulbuls jump from the nest and take their flight under guidance from the mother. First three took to flying rather easily. The fourth sibling got stuck at the flowerpot beneath. The mother coaxed him/her to try but left the chick to strive on his own. It took another flight but again fell near the car. The mother came rushing threatening me not to interfere. She took the strategic position on top of the raised wiper. I left the washing and came in side. After about an hour, when I came out, all was clear and the family had finally vacated our premises. The nest was empty. My wife asked me if we could remove the nest and clean the area. I ‘decided’ to not disturb the nest but cleaned the verandah nicely. I know we cannot safe keep the nest till the next breeding season and even if it does happen, no renting is done in their world. Next time again they would start from the scratch (straw) and construct their house as suits them.

           I am happy the birds have successfully added another generation to their ’family’ which may not be strictly in the same terms as we define. Then it is natural. Though the last few days were challenging, and to some extent irritating, now I miss them. I also know they would come back next year but then it may not be the same again. This is something like what happens to me for being at Mhow. Friends come on postings and courses of instructions, we meet, exchange notes, feel good and then they go away leaving me here at this place only to meet another set of friends. It is nice but also emotional at times. I do not say goodbye. It’s always ‘see you again’.  Let it be this way always!


Lt Col HS Bhandari (Retd)
MCTE Mhow
Happy journey, my fledgeling bulbuls!


 GO TO  --    HOME PAGE  -    LIST OF ARTICLES  -  INDEX TO SIGS PRVR
 



 GO TO  --    HOME PAGE  -    LIST OF ARTICLES  -  INDEX TO SIGS PRVR
 

No comments:

Post a Comment