AIMA SIR'S SHOW

. "But this is Aima Sir's show" 
                                         By Sidharth Mishra in Pioneer
Wrote this piece in the Monsoon of 1999

In July-Aug 1999 I was visiting forward areas in the Poonch-Rajouri sector. This was when the Kargil war had just ended and infiltration by Paskistan-backed militants had shifted southward. The assignment was to cover both the firing from beyond the Line of Control and from within. Our requirements needed covering both the forward infantry battalions and also the Rashtriya Rifles (RR) units combing the hinterland.

One such RR unit was located at Thana Mandi near Poonch. The unit location was very scenic in a valley alongside a river. While travelling around Poonch we happened to meet the Brigadier commanding the RR force in the area at a Gurdwara. He invited us to join him in visiting the RR battalion at Thana Mandi.
The young officers at the battalion made an impeccable multi-media presentation to the force commander. Impressed, I congratulated the Captain handling the mouse. He replied, "But this is Aima Sir's show." When I asked for 'Aima Sir', I was told that he was out with his company on a patrol. "I assure you he wields the gun as efficiently as the mouse," his commanding officer had said.


We stopped for the night at the Division Headquarters in Rajouri, where some of my school-types (Rashtriya Indian Military College) had organised a get-together. I had met some at their tactical headquarters on the LoC, some at company headquarters on a forward post, some standing counsel for a brother officer in a court martial proceedings. My visit had been exhausting and I was amazed at their stamina to remain both mentally and physically under the tall order. In between, the Div Commander had excused himself from the party as some 'pressing engagement' had come up.

Next evening I reached Jammu and took the train to Capital. On reaching home and seeing me in good shape my wife had heaved a sigh of relief. Flipping through The Times of India, as usual, I looked for the obituaries column. The top box carried photo of a bespectacled officer who was killed in anti-terror operations. He was of my age. He had a daughter like me and of the same age. The name left me absolutely numb - Major Sushil Aima. Yes, 'Aima Sir', whose multi-media presentation we had watched as he was on his way to face the bullets of the terrorists.

Why I write about Sushil Aima today is because he represents our generation who has faced the wrath of the terror perpetrated on us. Sushil, like me, was from the Capital. I found a job in the Capital, whereas Sushil decided to wear olive-green primarily for the reason of livelihood.

While Sushil faced bullets we punch on the desktops our analysis of human rights violations. Sushil was ambushed and died in action, justification the humanrightswalas would forward. But remember Lieutenant Saurabh Kalia. The subaltern, barely in his 20s, faced torture which would shame the Barbarians.
His eyes were punctured, his tooth and nails plucked out, his testicles cut, knees broken and then shot through the brain. Did those veteran journalists, who are raising a din for the human rights of the Pak terrorists, shed a tear in ink for the lad? Have they used their intellect and unsatiating spirit of upholding human rights to plead the case of Saurabh Kalia at any forum.

We are a nation of ungrates. Those trying to unearth the truth of Ansal Plaza would do well sometime to recall the martyrdom Indians embrace to keep India together. And the NHRC would serve better by coming to the succour of helpless citizens who return from their doorsteps without getting any justice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment